Friday 2 April 2010

starting again

Its always been one of those things that has hit me harder than it should. I've always struggled with the finality of it all. I will never wake up with her next to me again..Never again will I wrap my arms around her, and tell her that its all going to be ok. All of these things that we planned together; the old farmhouse in the south of France, the romantic proposal just before her birthday in Krakow, the 3 kids and 2 dogs and 1 donkey..where do they go?What happens to them?

Whether or not its the right thing or not has never come into it. I try to be closed,aloof, hard. But I cannot deny it. I am a romantic; a dreamer; in love with the life that we plan together, and willing to overlook the faults of myself, of my partner, and of the relationship. But for a good cause - happyness. Is that too old fashioned?

In an age where we are flooded with choices and opportunities to better ourselves - regardless of whether we deserve it - who is going to settle for something flawed, even just slightly. The grass being constantly greener - through extensive use of fertilizer - who wants to settle? Apart from me?

Me - I'm young-ish, successful-ish, well educated-ish and well travelled-ish. I know who I am, and I quite like who I am, most of the time. And I know what I want, I think. I was sure of it on Tuesday at 11:00pm in the hotel bar when we were drinking and chatting and smiling. I wanted a farmhouse in the south of France, a romantic proposal just before her birthday in Krakow, the 3 kids, the 2 dogs and the 1 donkey. But that is not my dream. Its not even hers; that was ours.

I was happy with Soph. Not gloriously, overwhelmingly in love, but I was well on my way. And here is the real f**ker. She was too. I'm dead fucking certain of it.

So, here I am, a single romantic dreamer in need of not only a new love, but of a new dream.

And that scares the shit out of me.

2 comments:

  1. i found this quote today

    "You're the strangest person I ever met, he said & I said you too & we decided we'd know each other a long time." I think that about sums us up. We are in love!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I saw them standing there pretending to be just friends, when all the time in the world could not pry them apart. "
    — Brian Andreas

    ReplyDelete